{السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته}
I`m a lost soul; searching. I`ve found the answer and here is my struggle.
An interior monologue of a revert Muslimah.

24.8.11

Why?

DO I LIKE GYARU SO MUCH?

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

I honestly don't know why =A=; I'm just fascinated for some reason. I think some of the models are sooo~ pretty and I guess it just goes along with myself liking Japanese things since I was 13. The artistic quality and cuteness in Japanese things really helped me discover a feminine identity (Hello Kitty). I adore the Gal fashion too. I know it's 'Western' inspired but the way Gals put things together just looks so fantastic. I know the reality of it but I'm still entranced. Grrr~~~ It's frustrating! I don't see any harm in liking it, really. The only thing is that Gal, being a 'real Gal' goes against almost everything I believe in social wise (wearing a lot of make-up, confidence issues, partying, wasting money, materialism, gossip, jealousy). I guess it's the same everywhere else in society, not just in Gal sub-culture. I just wonder if it's possible to be involved without really being involved (negatively). Or would Gal pressure me, like it pressures so many other girls, to be involved with the negative aspects of the culture. Does it depend on the individual?

Do you think a Muslim who wants to be modest can find a balance and be able to incorporate some Gal into herself without it being haram? Also, do you ladies have anything you like and just don't really know why?

9 comments:

❤ αmαℓ said...

I like gyaru too :) But only certain types... Definitely not Manba LOL

I think you can still enjoy these things while being Muslim. Dress up in your home for your husband or just do it for yourself :) You don't have to get involved with all the drama (ever seen the Gyaru Secrets website? lol). Better to be a solo Gal, imo.

Anonymous said...

Hey!
Assalamualekum,Thank you for your comments on my blog,it made my day even better,so truly,thank youu^^<3

And i think you cant do it,Gal is a fashion in my opinion and a lifestyle as well,but i dont think its right to judge a Gal by her personal interest outside of Gal as a fashion.
Im sure there are Gyaru who arent very party gal like or Rude or Material obsessed.

If you believe in it,you can make it happen^^

Ʋƨɐɠɪ ❤ said...

@ AMAL: Haha I know what you mean :P I like the girlyness of hime gyaru, I love rokku and bohemian mostly! And however Sayoko dresses~ she's my Gyaru idol >w<
I guess you're right...we're all unique with special interest in life and we can enjoy it as long as we do it in a halal way.
& migosh I have seen G_S! It scares me and makes me so sad :( I would like to be involved with online Gals but I don't have much to post about Gal or do not live the lifestyle so it's kind of silly xD

I also DO like the makeup part. It disturbs me sometimes at how fake it is but it does, honestly, look really good to me!

@EMORA: :D Yay! Yes I loveee you're blog and it makes me happy I'm not the only Muslimah out there who likes Gyaru. To see Muslim girls living as one too is very awesome!
VERY good points! Thank you for you input. It helps and is highly appreciated. Just what I've seen kind of scared me~ like I said to Amal on G_S.
I wrote earlier about how Gal inspires my fashion sense too.

Unknown said...

Oh Gal subculture. I remember Super Gals from 6 years ago. :)

Just remember that there are things in a culture that we can adapt if it doesn't cross with your Deen. There really is no harm if you wanna look cute. You can be modestly cute. :)

Jee? :)

Banana Anne said...

If you love it, and as long as you avoid things involved in it that are blatantly not Islamic, then enjoy it! I think it's great when people have passions like this.

Ʋƨɐɠɪ ❤ said...

@AASIYAH: I can't believe it's been around the long! LOL I was into Visual/Oshare kei at that time :P
Thank you for supporting and giving me advice :) You girls are amazing! I love my Muslim sisters.

@ANNE: :D YAY ANNE! Thankyouuuu~ hehe. You're so right. I like to think that closing yourself off from the world is wrong and Allah wants us to enjoy it but know the limits and know when to say NO~

monamour said...

I see nothing wrong with liking it :) And I myself adore the japanese culture I dunno why really. I really like scene/emo style Seriously I have no idea why I like it but I really do its weird actually :p

LOL @ Anon.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the return comment!My stomachs been rather moody since i slept past sahur this morning but it really made my day^^

Malia said...

don't worry love, there is nothing wrong with having a love for Gyaru. Though I'm not Muslim myself, I believe that gyaru and Islam can go hand in hand.

Yes there is a lot of drama in the online community, trust me, I've been in a major part of it, but it is really NOT promoted what so ever (except for G_S). Not everyone in the western community is a part of this. Don't let this discourage you at all from following the fashion.

As for being gal and still keeping with your modest values, I think it's very possible. I've seen numerous Muslim still wear makeup, wear the hijab and still keep it within the realms of being modest and still be fashionable in the process :3

I think you'll find this designer's blog very inspiring, she's of Japanese decent but recently converted to Islam 5 years ago and I really love her pieces to death : http://www.stylecovered.com/

I hope you find a good PERSONAL balance between Gal and yourself, you're GORGEOUS, you have so many option as this blog is a great way to show you and even if it doesn't feel like it, there are gals in the western online community that would love to help you along your way to Gal <3