{السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته}
I`m a lost soul; searching. I`ve found the answer and here is my struggle.
An interior monologue of a revert Muslimah.

16.7.11

On Self Confidence

Beautified is the life of this world for those who disbelieve, and they mock at those who believe. But those who obey Allah’s Orders and keep away from what He has forbidden, will be above them on the Day of Resurrection. And Allah gives (of His Bounty, Blessings, Favours, and Honours on the Day of Resurrection) to whom He wills without limit.
Qur'an, 2:212

Beautiful Leah Dizon (Old Role Model)
Beautiful Hana Tajima (New Role Model)
 

 ❤ السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته   

Excessive or deflated confidence in one's own judgment or ability: self confidence. A lot of women struggle with confidence. Whether it is our looks or our talents, our perception is misguided all thanks to the standards set by society via the mass media and 'men'. As a young revert Muslim living in the western hemisphere I am constantly at battle with what ‘beauty’ is. Jesse’s self confidence: deflated. Like most people I look up to celebrities and actresses. I admire, obsess, compare, and sometimes cry because I can’t look a certain way (astagfirallah!). I look at local girls who acquire these celeb looks, fashion, hair, make-up, and look at myself in pity because I got a cheese burger belly, 20 something moles on my face, and thin hair. It puts me into great distress sometimes. It even drives me so mad that I feel angry when I see some girls I am extremely jealous of. I will even spend time finding faults in them to make myself feel better. I do all these nasty things and at the end of the day when I do my evening prayers I reflect on my behaviour. I look at myself and wonder how I could ever act so foolishly. I have something these girls don’t. I have faith. I have Islam. I have Allah (swt). I look at myself with my scarf thrown around my head before prayer and smile because I’m alive. I smile because I have people who love me. I smile because I have a chance to reach jannah. I smile because I have a piece of mind that puts my soul at rest when I’m lost and all alone. I am blessed to be who I am and Allah (swt) made me this way because I am beautiful, because I am here to live Islam. My purpose, my life, my soul exceeds all these silly problems in everyday life. I remember Allah and my jealousy escapes. It’s hard sometimes but I am writing this to remind you ladies that you’re not alone and that Allah (swt) is there. You just need to trust him and see yourself for who you really are. We need to stand up against these false standards and start following our religion properly. We need to stay true to our hijab. I feel the more I try to look like girls in magazines I feel more frustrated with me. I feel sad. When I do what I do because I like it, because I think it’s ‘cool’ for Allah (swt) I feel 100% happier. I eat that cheeseburger because it makes me happy and I exercise for my health, not my weight. I work hard to worry about myself now. I promised myself to stop comparing to those who I don’t even know. It’s seriously such a waste of energy. I like myself because I am me. I am an intelligent, capable, artistic, kind, generous, sweet person. Most importantly I should worry more about my deen and what I do to please Allah (swt). Remember that trying to impress people who want you to change is the first sign that they’re not good people. Surround yourself with confident happy women and read your Qur’an because it honestly gives us the answers to all these daily struggles.

{Above I posted two woman I think are absolutely gorgeous. I used to adore Leah Dizon and wanted to always look like her. I admire Hana Tajima more because she stays true to hijab, proving how easy it really is. She's not fake. Pick a role model that fits your lifestyle who makes you feel better about yourself, not worse. Better if you don't compare or work to be like anyone; just be yourself!}


Do you struggle with your self-confidence? How do you deal? Tell me your stories!

No comments: